Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next

Film Discussion

Post subject: Re: Film Discussion
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

zombocom wrote:
Are we seriously not going to get any back to the future love in here?

As good as it is, not sure I can bring myself to describe it as sci fi to be honest, more of an adventure movie. BttF2 maybe...

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

zombocom wrote:
Are we seriously not going to get any back to the future love in here?

I like series and they are entertaining, but I wouldn't classify them among my favorites.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:33 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I think the first one is great but I'm not mad about the sequels. I'd agree that they are all science fiction as well as being a comedy adventure. When I asked the question, I was interested to see if anyone posted choices which aren't "traditional" science fiction choices in terms of being futuristic or set in space.

Face/Off is another film I love which technically gets classed as science fiction. The only reason it is classed as such is because of the central conceit, that being that the technology exists for the two main characters to swap faces and change their voices. You take that one aspect out of the film and it is a conventional action film - but it still counts as sci-fi!

A lot of horror is also classed as science fiction, stuff like 28 Days Later! And then you've got superhero movies, they too are sci-fi although I generally don't think of them as such. Watchmen is probably my favourite of those... The term "sci-fi" can encompass a wide range of films!

Clickable links for Epic hijinks:
Epic 40K Players Page on Facebook
Net Epic Evolution Rules
Net Epic War! Campaign Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:20 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Kinda off-topic but it's my thread so if anyone is entitled to abuse it, it's me.

We got a new boiler a few months back. Tonight is the first time it has been switched on, and I'm sitting in the room where it is housed. It sounds like a quieter version of the background engines you often hear onboard the Nostromo (in Alien). I quite like that! :)

It's Friday night, so if there's anyone who hasn't submitted their favourite 5 sci-fi films, what better time than now? :geek

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Sci-fi and no one has posted The Thing or Predator yet? Disgraceful.

The real problem is that with so many real classics a top 5 is desperately difficult to narrow down to. Without leaving out at least 3-4 films that "should" be top 5 I don't think I could.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:16 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

shelfunit wrote:
...no one has posted The Thing.... Disgraceful.

I wanted to say the thing but I was worried after seeing the dreadful, excruciating horrible remake, it might lead to others watching the remake- and I didn't want that on my conscious! ;)

I watched Flash Gordon again the other day. Its still so utterly genius. Its so camp, and outrageous but he is such a likeable hero! Brian blessed is brilliant, and the girls having a pillow fight... :o
I though having not watched it since the 80's it would be too awful too sit though, but its almost got better with age!

My 6mm Sci-fi and skirmish Plog: Vermin!/Orks!/Micro-munda!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:27 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Not a remake. Piss poor implementation: yes; Remake: no

It's actually good for drinking games though. (Drink every time cliche' horror music starts, drink every time bad CG occurs). Of course there's plenty of films we can do that with.

To alleviate your fears: Simply use John Carpenter's The Thing instead. :D

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list
-Help me make Whitescars not suck!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Thing... good shout! Give me those old school effects over CGI any day! :)

I do like Predator but it loses points for the A-Team shoot out - not to mention crappy quips like "knock knock" - early on.

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Oh Gordy, you were almost in my good graces and then you've got to go and blow it by knocking some of the best 80's action movie one-liners ever. :gah

GET TO DAAAA CHOPPPAHHHHHHH!!!

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:55 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Yeah, I love that line as well (so good that it was my first signature quote)! But that wasn't really a one liner, it's just really a bit of dialogue that gained noteriety because of Schwarzenegger's mangled delivery of English.

I was meaning that "knock knock" and "stick around" in the A-Team segment denigrated the film somewhat. It's the one segment where the film feels a bit like a typical Arnie flick, whereas for the rest of the film there isn't any of that nonsense. And another thing, I was glad that Shane Black got killed quickly, but sadly not before his woeful pussy jokes died on-screen first.

And I'm going to ignore the "Gordy" thing, Mr Beyonce. :P

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

To be fair, having Arnie as a governor at one point and actually getting to have lunch with him before, I'm pretty sure the concepts of Line, One-Liner, Dialog, and Pithy statements all do not apply that that gentleman's ability to speak English. Mind you, his German is far better than mine is (his accent speaking that however is as unfamiliar in any language it seems to my Yiddish speaking ear, but I digress). :P

Have we mentioned starship troopers yet?
would you like to know more?

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

Last edited by jimmyzimms on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:08 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

1) Aliens - great action yarn, with immortal oneliners. "Nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure", "game over man, game over!"

2) Star Wars V - The Empire Strikes Back. Cool battle, AT-ATs in the snow. I was young and impressionable when I first saw it, too.

3) Blade Runner, both with and without the Film Noir voice-over. Rather different experiences, both made awesome by the ambience and Rutger Hauer.

4) Tron and Tron Legacy. AIs! Why has noone mentioned these? They're sci-fi set in the present day, I think.

5) War Games, for its uplifiting morale - "Strange game - the only winning move is not to play".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:22 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Mmmm, at the moment its

1. Logans Run

2 Star ship troopers

3. Salute of the Jugga

4. West world

5. then most of the classics already mentioned !

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Wargames! Haven't seen that since I was a teenager! Must watch it again, but agree that was a nice line at the end. I recall having a bit of a problem understanding that Noughts and Crosses (Tic Tac Toe) always ended in a draw, as an idiot child I won and lost plenty of games.

I loved the look of Tron, especially in the recent Tron Legacy, but found both films struggled to keep my attention. I dunno why that was - I wanted to like them more because there are some good ideas in there as well as the exciting imagery.

@Jimmy: I think we did mention Starship Troopers earlier but don't think anyone has picked it as a top 5 (EDIT Dogtrooper has made me eat my words in a humble pie!). I always thought the line "I'm from Buenos Aires and I say kill 'em all!" was a strange one. Why mention Buenos Aires, was there maybe some sort of political / satirical comment behind that?

Got to say, how much would you like to be Michael Ironside getting to say a line like this:

He did it well!

Net Epic Evolution Rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:38 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

The Bissler wrote:
I'm from Buenos Aires and I say kill 'em all!" was a strange one. Why mention Buenos Aires, was there maybe some sort of political / satirical comment behind that?

Ummmm because the movie (well the parts on earth that is) was set there?

In the book, Juan "Johnny" Rico isn't even white (which is a big deal if you think back to when and where it was written); the movie was brilliant satire with the casting of young good looking white folks :).

-I HAVE NO POINT
-Penal Legion-Fan list

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next