Login |  Register |  FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next

Attempt at a Space Wolves armylist

Post subject: Attempt at a Space Wolves armylist
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

..For the moment I've just stolen the normal character stats and just renamed them.
If we can come to a list that people are even vaguely happy with then it might be fun to make them slightly different.

Drop podding Terminators doesn't seem to have too many uses (that I can think of) in the Tournament scenario, but it's fluffy and it's been available to Chaos for some time.

Also, your calculation suggests + 2 or 3 combat resolution for the regular marines, when it comes down to a dice roll I want all the bonuses I can get!

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (The_Real_Chris @ Sep. 22 2009, 14:52 )

On a different note are Space Wolf heros a mixing of regular marine commander abilities (so chaplains combine with something else etc, I can't really remember off hand).

No, they're mostly straightforward conversions: Lord - Captain, Rune Priest - Librarian, Wolf Priest - Chaplain, Iron Priest - Techmarine.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Space Wolves hate teleports don't they?

So Space Wolf Terminators should entirely lose the teleport ability, and gain drop pods, right?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:05 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

That would be logical.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:14 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

I've had a thought on the Wolf Guard.

What about if they could take an additional couple of stands as an upgrade? Then you have a formation that can't fit in a Thunderhawk (and completely fills a Landing Craft's troop capacity), meaning that if you want the extra Terminators you either have to spend a lot of points to bring them on (either 6 Land Raiders, or a Landing Craft), or consider using the Drop Pods.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:26 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Has any Marine list ever considered having formations of 6 Terminators? That would be rock hard and also still fits into a Landing Craft.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:31 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

It's certainly possible with the Black Legion List, who can add a Daemon Prince, Obliterators and Daemons just to make absolutely sure they rub it in I suppose...

Admittedly they lack ATSKNF and the Landing Craft option so it's not a direct comparision....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:35 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (hello_dave @ Sep. 22 2009, 13:14 )

I've had a thought on the Wolf Guard.

What if Wolf Guard were set-up in a way like Sappers in the Siegemaster list, either their own formation, or could be split up and shared with other formations?

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:44 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: 

What if Wolf Guard were set-up in a way like Sappers in the Siegemaster list, either their own formation, or could be split up and shared with other formations?

I really like that idea, say you buy 4 for 350 points, can add 2 more for 175 points? But can choose to put them in other formations...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:46 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Entirely random thoughts.
How about Wolf Lords (terminators), formation size 5 + option of wolves. Can't thawk, can sorta fit in a landing craft, drop podding attractive.
8 stands of Grey Hunters, + 1 stand of wolf Guard (who has commander). 9 strong base. Long fangs become replace x stands for y each. Can still thunderhawk in but now you have to leave a stand behind. Result, extra rhino transport space to help on ground, commander to gang up, and innate preference for thawks somewhat mitigated. Plus as a bonus the primative method of drop podding in is more attractive.
Blood Claws I guess can still be 8 strong.
Wolf Scouts I thought were ultra elites made up of the survivors of extinct packs, lone wolves, vets with little commander ability etc? Say a 3 strong formation no hero, but some sort of funky special rule like can garrison off any objective after both armies have set up?

Thing about that is now you could make a space wolf popcorn list and I can't reconcile that with past integrations:)

Oh and I don't think Space Wolves interntionally organise themselves at all :)

Saying we are taking the hawk boys - ed and mick you are staying behind, there's no room for you :)

General Plumer, 191x

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:04 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Hmm, I think they should still be *able* to do Thunderhawk loads (doesn't it seem a little odd that they would intentionally organize  themselves in such a way as to not use Thunderhawks), but that the optimal load of 8 should require some thought.

So what about:

Wolf Guard - Stealing Chroma's idea

Grey hunters, 5 for 225 points, upgrade of 1-2 Long Fangs, upgrade of 2 additional Grey Hunters

That way, in order to fill out a Thunderhawk you'd need to take Grey Hunters a maximum of 1 long fang, or you have to leave an empty space to take 2.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:15 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Then I think the only alternative is to keep the 6 strong Grey Hunter formation, or up it to 7.

They might be a bunch of nutters, but I really don't see why they wouldn't avail themselves of Thunderhawks, and quite why they shouldn't.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:24 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (hello_dave @ Sep. 22 2009, 23:15 )

They might be a bunch of nutters, but I really don't see why they wouldn't avail themselves of Thunderhawks, and quite why they shouldn't.

They will if it's convenient, but they won't go out of the way to do so.

Or so I understand.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:33 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Indeed, but the mainstay formation being too big to fit in one doesn't sit well with using them when convenient....

Off topic:

It's been an education working on this forum, I feel like the list has certainly improved as a result of the feedback but I can very easily see why lists like the Tau have been in development for absolute years (and why the community is so fragmented)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:12 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Quote: (hello_dave @ Sep. 22 2009, 21:33 )

It's been an education working on this forum, I feel like the list has certainly improved as a result of the feedback but I can very easily see why lists like the Tau have been in development for absolute years (and why the community is so fragmented)

Well, you have to realize that every army, no matter how obscure, is at least two different people's "favourite army"... often the numbers are much greater!  *laugh*

So, they want to see such an army treated with the respect they feel it deserves and can become heated when they feel something isn't "right".  

What people need to realize is that the person putting the list together feels the same way! And that they should be given the benefit of the doubt as much as possible.

Now living in Boston... any EPIC players want to meet up?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next