Login |  Register |  FAQ

Death Guard 0.7

Post subject: Death Guard 0.7
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:54 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Woo update!

This is mostly a consolidation and simplification update, building on the work in viewtopic.php?f=82&t=32848

Changelog for version 0.7.0: (2019/07/31)

Blight Drones
Reduced from 5 for 250 points to 4 for 200 points.

Plague Marine Chosen
Gain the Walkers upgrade.

Nurgle's Rot
Structurally, this has been removed as a formation upgrade, and has been rolled into Daemonic Pact, instead of the free Lesser Daemon.
Rules-wise, it's now automatic if causing casualties in an assault, but only adds one Lesser Daemon point, no matter how many casualties are caused.
Designer's note - this makes the ability more reliable, but with a much lower chance of having a big impact on the game. In addition, it removes an upgrade which makes the list slightly simpler.

Characters and Daemon Prince
The characters now match the Black Legion for consistency and simplicity, so the Nurgle Warlord is now an additional Character who only has Supreme Commander and is added to the existing Lord/Sorcerer character (or Daemon Prince).
In the same way, the Daemon Prince is back to standard.

Blightlord Terminators
A minor tweak gives Ignore Cover to their FF attack.

Beasts of Nurgle
The non-summoned Beasts of Nurgle gained Fearless, to match the Chaos Spawn that they're sharing an upgrade with.

Plague Towers
Speed is reduced to 15cm. Many apologies, I thought this had already been fixed in a previous version...

Defilers/Desecrators/Plague Hulks
These three are unchanged, but I've added an experimental Plague Hulk version that combines the Desecrator and Plague Hulk into a single unit to simplify the list further. It's slightly less shooty than the Desecrator and slightly less combaty than the Plague Hulk.

Attachment:
Death Guard v0.7.0.pdf [94.38 KiB]
Downloaded 35 times

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Death Guard 0.7
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:03 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

Obvious things for testing:

Plague Marine Chosen - are garrisoning Defiler-alikes too good, or does the high cost (400 points with three Defiler equivalents) keep them balanced?

Nurgle's Rot - the current pricing structure effectively makes it 15pt per formation, so the cost of an extra Lesser Daemon. Across the course of a game it's likely that a formation could gain two or maybe even three LDs back, but at the cost of being less likely to win the assaults in the first place.

Plague Hulk/Desecrator mash-up - I'm still unsure about this idea, so any feedback is welcome!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:45 pm 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

An updated list builder is now on https://ijw.on-rev.com/armyforge_temp/indexNETEA.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:08 am 
Brood Brother
Brood Brother

A partial test game was played this evening, I used the list below, with all Plague Hulks using the experimental mashup version. For assorted reasons we only got two turns in, but it was still useful for evaluating some of the changes.

Incompertus, 2990 POINTS
Death Guard (NetEA V0.7.0 Taccoms Thread)
==================================================

PLAGUE MARINE RETINUE [400]
Plaguecaster Lord, Daemonic Pact & Nurgle's Rot (No LD!), 4 Plague Marines, 3 Havocs, Lord of Contagion (Supreme Commander)

PLAGUE MARINE RETINUE [410]
Plaguecaster Lord, Daemonic Pact & Nurgle's Rot (No LD!), 4 Plague Marines, 3 Havocs, 2 (Beasts) Chaos Spawn

BLIGHT DRONE SWARM* [200]
4 Blight Drones

PLAGUE ZOMBIE INFESTATION* [175]
3+2D6 Plague Zombies

DEATH GUARD CHOSEN [400]
4 Plague Marine Chosen, 3 (Walkers) Plague Hulk

DEATH GUARD CHOSEN [290]
4 Plague Marine Chosen, Daemonic Pact & Nurgle's Rot (No LD!), 3 (Beasts) Beasts of Nurgle

WALKER HORDE [275]
4 Plague Hulk

FESTER TITAN [275]

FESTER TITAN [275]

DAEMON POOL [90]
6 Lesser Daemon (Plaguebearers)

PLAGUE SHIP* [200]

Nurgle’s Rot - due to the lack of ‘free’ Lesser Daemons, I pumped some extra points into the Daemon Pool. Across the two turns I gained two or three extra Daemons, which felt about right.

AA Plague Hulks - the two formations that included them were never in assaults and never shot at AVs, so acted almost identically to Desecrators. More testing needed...

Defiler-equivalents in Chosen - the Chosen with Plague Hulks did help a lot with AA coverage, but arguably less than a 125pt-cheaper formation of four Desecrators would have done. Notably, the speed increase to 20cm means that adding them to Chosen becomes the only way of getting more than one in a garrisoning formation, as the base Walker Horde formation can no longer garrison itself.

Beasts of Nurgle - the Chosen with Beasts were involved in two assaults, with the Beasts’ Reinforced Armour giving them saves against MW hits from the Ravenwing. Due to facing Skimmers, the Beasts of Nurgle were better than Chaos Spawn would have been, but if the situation was reversed the Spawn would have been even better.

Chosen - Fearless Scouts are proving to be very powerful (as expected), and may see a further bump to 200pt for four. I’m considering moving them to Elites to match Black Legion, but that opens up other possible abuses like taking 1 Chosen and 2 Zombies per Retinue. I’ll probably remove the Champion of Chaos and Icon Bearer upgrades at some point, to reduce the possible upgrades.

Plague Ship - the barrage was devastating thanks to a lucky guess on where things would be garrisoning, catching almost an entire Ravenwing formation. Then twelve Zombies turned up. The effectiveness of the barrage I put down to game variation, but the Zombies are likely to be reduced to 3+d6 instead of 3+2d6 so that they’re less of a force in their own right. Or maybe 3+2d3.